Home of the MPV TT

WARNING: This website contains ingenuity, do not try this at home.

WARNING: This website contains ingenuity, do not try this at home.

Expandmenu Shrunk


300ZX Front Brakes

With the prospect of upgrading my rear differential and the rear brakes, I knew a revamp of my front brakes was in order. After doing some research, I discovered that my RX-7 upgrade was not not an ideal option to be paired with my future rear brakes. It turns out that the small piston bore of the RX-7 calipers left little to no options for a simple solution.

So, I went with something that has proven itself useful with the MPV, Z32 parts. These aluminum calipers have a giant piston bore but the matching rotor was too shallow to work with my setup. After some more research, I discovered that the 2006+ Subaru B9 Tribeca had a 30mm thick rotor at 315mm in diameter which had an ideal hat height. The only hurdle with these rotors was increasing the center bore to fit around the larger MPV hub bearing, which proved to be a simple task for my machinist.


From left to right, Subaru Tribeca, Nissan 300ZX, MPV.


Tribeca vs MPV, you can see the need to increase the center bore.

 


Comparison of diameters. From left to right, Subaru Tribeca, Nissan 300ZX, MPV.


A little under 6lbs extra in each corner, mostly in the rotor.


To adapt the 300ZX calipers to the MPV, I started with two 7 inch pieces of 6061 Aluminum flatbar measuring 1″ x 1.75″.


Using my trusty Grizzly Mill, I began by drilling out the mounting holes as dictated by my high tech aluminum template.


Changed out for a bigger bit in preparation to tap the hole.


My Grizzly G0619 has an awesome tapping function, and buttons on the handle to reverse the tap mid drill. Super slick.


Marked up for the material to remove in order to make it fit the MPV spindle.


Installing the keysert which enables me to torque down on the bolts without fear of stripping the aluminum.


After using the tool to insert it into the adapter via the small prongs you see, you then reposition the tool to hammer in the 4 prongs to secure the keysert in place. I also used some red threadlock for some extra assurance.


Making some chips, milling out where the caliper will mount.


The calipers mounted to my home-brewed adapters.


You can see a little design change was made between the passenger and drivers side, but no structural integrity should be sacrificed.


Comparing the progression I have made with the calipers. From left to right, MPV, RX7, 300ZX


Bleeding with the MightyVac.


All finished and broken in with Hawk HPS pads.

The new braking power is immense, like nothing I have ever felt before. I may need to upgrade my seat belts now to hold me in place ;D