Home of the MPV TT

WARNING: This website contains ingenuity, do not try this at home.

WARNING: This website contains ingenuity, do not try this at home.

Expandmenu Shrunk

Building A Replacement Engine

My JDM motor has been quite good , logging 25,000+ miles over the past four years. But recently it has been beginning to show its age. So, I sourced a spare motor that came with a transmission attached which wasn’t too bad, but there was a pesky stripped torque converter bolt that proved to be the only challenge… Nothing the sawzall couldn’t solve.

Having a winch mounted on barn-door tracks in the garage really made this process easy on the back.

Here is a short time-lapse video.

Unloading the VG from David Swenson on Vimeo.


The goal of this engine build is to achieve at least 412hp, four times the original hp I dyno’d my MPV at. I will also use all the knowledge gained over the four years of ownership and apply it to this build. First and foremost, temperature control, meaning lots of thermal coatings.

I began by sending my pistons and oil pump to EP Racing, where Mitchell ported my oil pump, coated my OEM pistons in a ceramic dry film lubricant, and also sent me a complete set of coated bearings.

I then took my valve covers and various parts to get powder coated and ceramic coated in chromex.

Versus my current “High Temp” rattle can paint, these powdercoated items will hold up to minor fuel leaks and all other sorts of corrosion.

I then took the necessary parts to Roman at BBT Performance to build me a robust longblock. This is how it looked once I got it out of the truck and onto the stand.

The underside.

ARP goodness.

I then got to work putting the pieces together.

Ceramic coated MSP manifolds.

Ceramic coated lower plenum prepped for port matching to the upper manifold.

Post honing bits, and flapper wheels.

For added protection against radiating heat temps from the block to the manifold, I went to McLendons and sourced some ceramic fiber blanket used in kilns and as insulation on the chimney of wood fire stoves.

Thick, but easily compacted.

Folded up, and stuffed into the void.

More or less how it sits now.