I had a sense from the “advice” of the housing inspector that a chimney cap might be necessary. It wasn’t until I experienced a few smokey blow backs, and had a couple fires snubbed out that I knew I couldn’t go another heating season without addressing the issue. Once I located the chimney cap of my dreams, I discovered that it only fitted on round pipe. What follows is the design and fabrication process of DIY stainless steel transition adapter to go from the 12″ square ceramic tile to the 8″ round stove pipe.
I used my arting & crafting powers to create a fairly accurate template of what my cap adapter will need to fit around.
Playing around with the cardboard helps me visualize how I will use one flat sheet to create the 3-d structure I am after with some forming.
The tape represents some modifications to my original conception in order to eliminate the need for welding, and include some specially designed features to promote a more precise alignment on the hand break I will eventually use to form this transition.
After using the cardboard design as a template, I drew up the adapter with CAD software and had it waterjet from a piece of 24ga Stainless measuring in at 0.025″ thick.
After the first bends for the inside of the square adapter using a small 24″ hand break. These will end up becoming the fingers to secure the adapter inside the square ceramic pipe without using any hardware or adhesives.
After all the forming which is fairly easy with the thin gauge sheet. You can also sort of see my sorry attempt on an english wheel to try and “smooth” out the the outer lip which will act as a hood over the square ceramic tile and keep rain from going where it shouldn’t.
With my day job I am fortunate to have access to the tools of a sheet metal department including a small slip roller to form some 8″ stainless tube, and this spot welder to connect it all together.
Once dialed in on a few practice coupons I zapped my hand rolled tube together, followed by cutting tabs in the end to fold over which I then zapped to the base.
With the aforementioned fingers bent into shape to keep the adapter centered and secured in the chimney I was originally worried that I might need some type adhesion to keep it there, but after enduring several high gust windstorms that blew down several tress in the neighborhood, I worry no more!
And the pièce de résistance, a stainless steel chimney cap with a wind directional design I first discovered on a trip to the Oregon coast. Eventually I plan on making one big cap to cover the other two chimneys, and raise this cap to better utilize its design.
Next on the to-do list will be to give my Buck Stove a little refresh in order better utilize this cherry wood I’ve stockpiled from cutting down three 60ft trees in my backyard.