So, after searching for the good part of a 2 month period for a cause to the MPV randomly cutting out while driving, many things began to unfold.
When the MPV died, sometimes letting it rest for a minute with the power off, resetting the ECU seemed to do the trick. Other times, unplugging the MAF’s and running in limp mode was the only answer.
Finally, in early March lots of things began going wrong. The hose to my brake booster cracked and I was left with no brakes. I was driving around with an intercooler pipe off because of this
Finally, when I was sure it was the SAFC at fault, a light bulb came on. Using my wideband I noticed a huge difference when I swapped the d/s MAF with the p/s MAF. BAM! It was a bad MAF.
>:( >:( >:(
By this time though, all the driving I had done in limp mode had wreaked havoc on my O2 sensors, and they needed replacing.
I had used some birthday money a few months back to purchase some used Z1 split downpipes, so I saw this as the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone.
Getting those stock DP’s off proved to be quite the challenge. I had left the transmission in, and used a generous amount of Deep Creep. Those JDM nuts and bolts were in very tight locations.
But unlike the Z, the driver side was a breeze compared with the blood loss from the removal of the passenger side.
I was going to need to modify my exhaust pipes since they were originally designed for the JDM pipe w/o precats.
Removing the DP’s allowed me to get my first look at the hotside of these turbos. They were both still in fairly decent shape, with no side to side wiggle and only slight north south play.
When all was said and done, they went on a lot easier than the others came off. I had to modify the flange of the p/s DP to avoid the subframe, and replaced all the hardware with stainless. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive this bad boy around in this unmuffled state, and being able to hear the turbos spinning at cruising speeds is without a doubt, my new favorite sound.