A buddy of mine came to me for some help in making his dreams come true. He had recently lost his kitchen table, and just could not find the right replacement. Enter SuperDave…..
I went down to my favorite hardwoods store and found a pile of discounted 3/4″ MDF with a white oak veneer. I chose this over cabinet grade plywood because this solved the issue of the exposed grain around the table edge, and would produce a more consistent finish after routing. Before I left, I had the store slice up the rough cuts so it fit better in the truck.
Once home, I preformed the final cuts by setting up my handy aluminum channel fence, and using my skillsaw with my clearance hardboard set-up seen in other projects.
With the pieces cut, I used some remnants to erect the shelves in freespace which helped average out any misalignment incurred by trying to build something square on my sloped garage floor.
After the glue had all dried, I flipped the table over to mock up ideas for how the legs will actuate to support the wings. I opted to use Daly’s Painting products for this project as they had a well recommended satin urethane coating which fulfilled the customers need for this table to be water, booze, and more or less party proof. I started with their golden oak stain to match the customers flooring and chairs. T then proceed to apply three coats of satinthane with wet sanding in between coats, and a final wet sanding working from 400 to 800, and finishing up with 1500 grit.
I sourced a couple lengths of big 3 inch stainless steel hinge, and used my trusty band saw to chop it down to size for the leg mechanisms and wing support. I then drilled plenty of holes to more than sufficiently secure them to the table.
To protect the underside of the table and keep the leg supports from splitting at the ends, I waterjet some pucks from a plate of 1.5 inch virgin HDPE, then proceeded to machine them on the lathe.
I first bored out the inside of the puck making sure to leave them undersized so that they would press onto the end of the 2″ dowels I used for table legs with no need for screws. I fitted them onto a scrap piece of dowel to face them all to a consistent height and turned down the outside.
And here is the finished product. I found inspiration for the leg mechanisms on, of all things – my ironing board. This way, no matter which leg you pull out, they will move together and only go so far as the end of the track I built for it. You can also see those awesome HDPE leg caps.
Fully extended it fits perfectly in its new home, and with the tall bar chairs, the game will be easy to watch on the tv of your choice!
Put one side down for easy access to the kitchen. You can see here how nice the MDF edges came out giving the table some nice accents.
Put both sides down for a smart looking little bar-esque table. Note the shadow reflection on the surface showing how nice and smooth I was able to get the table top with wet sanding the satinthane.