Having close to four times the horsepower output this van was designed to handle, it was only a matter of time before the stock open differential decided it had enough, and I was surprised it lasted this long. Beginning to get louder and louder with more and more vibration I decided to change the oil in the stock diff, doing so twice in a week each time with more chunks coming out. It was after this I knew it was time for me to start on this long overdue project.
Here is what it first looked like when I first brought home this used Ford 9″ differential, it came from a farm where it was sourced from a 1970′s Ford Torino (a Starsky and Hutch car).
After tearing it down, I then took a plasma torch to the remaining brackets, followed by a healthy dose of power grinding and sanding.